Polish chicken having trouble standing and won't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckin away, Dec 16, 2012.

1. cluckin away

cluckin away New Egg

Dec 16, 2012
    Yesterday I went out to check on our chickens and noticed that Sherlock, our black polish chicken was lying down in the corner, away from the others. I picked her up and set her on her feet, she wobbled a bit and then fell over onto her side. We brought her inside and placed her in a nice clean, warm cage with some straw, food and water. She doesn't seem that intent on eating, although she nibbles at the odd meal worm and a piece of melon. I gave her some warm water with molasses mixed in and have been checking on her frequently since then. I would like to know if there is anything more I can do for her and I am having trouble figuring out why this has happened. Help?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Do you see any injuries? Do you think maybe she's getting picked on? I would suggest getting water with vitamins in her as soon as you can. Without water, a chicken goes downhill pretty fast. It seems like alot of people are seeing this happen on here. She may just not be getting enough protein in her feed. Try the vitamins/electrolytes in her water, some scrambled eggs, etc.

3. cluckin away

cluckin away New Egg

Dec 16, 2012
    Thank you for your advice. There are no visible injuries, and I have never seen any of the other hens pick on her. She seems to be getting better and has perked up a lot over night. I will keep an eye on her and try to make sure she has plenty of water and protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by