Polish Chicken Problem

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by samantha LW, Nov 12, 2015.

1. samantha LW

samantha LW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    Georgia
    So I have two Polish a hen and a roo. They refuse to sleep inside the coop. I have to go get them off the bunny hutch every night even in the rain. Once I put them in the coop they stay but the only reason i can see that they don't want to be in the coop is the roosting bars. Both chickens like to sleep flat on their faces on the chicken wire portion of the bunny hutch. Has anyone else had this problem? What ideas do you have to make an area where they can sleep flat like that inside? And is that a normal Polish thing?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there any possibility that the other birds are hogging the roosts?

3. samantha LW

Nov 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Nope, I have seventeen chickens and three roosts 10 Ft each.

4. comptonkids

comptonkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    texas
    I just picked up a polish rooster last night and I noticed then and this morning that he sleeps jist like you said

How wide are your roosts?
    I have mine 4 inches wide and he seemed happy

5. samantha LW

Nov 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Ha! I am glad it is not just mine. My roosts are staggered in height and about a foot and a half apart. When I got them as babies they would run around then just fall over asleep. I was sure they were dying until I realized it was just the Polish and they were sleeping. I have to figure out how to make them a shelf or something to sleep inside on but I don't want it to collect poop.

6. comptonkids

comptonkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    texas
    [​IMG]

I took this last night after I picked the birds up

[​IMG]

This was this morning after I was able to get to the feed store

He is easier to see in this pic, and not flat on his face, but the first pic he was. ..well, as much as he could be

1 person likes this.
  7. soup and stew

soup and stew New Egg

Apr 26, 2015
    thats the problem they need a least 3inches each side of a scare thats just the way they sleep its not a problem\

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by