polish chicken watering

thanai

Songster
Jul 3, 2020
Canada
Hi guys, my polish chickens are at the age where they have a big crest that gets wet when they try to drink. I have a standard waterer with a red base and a plastic top. How do you guys with polish chickens water them so they don't get their crests wet? Thanks!

Waterer looks like this...
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.32.46 AM.png

Once mine get feathers, I switch to bowls and just fill then enough that they won't drown or get weighed down an trapped
Thanks! The reason I’m hesitant to do that is because the chicks are still in the brooder, (moving to coop soon) and they always kick shavings into the water. I think that a bowl might be a bigger target for shavings.

I'll second the nipple waterer. I have a couple of Polish in my flock, and they do well with the nipple waterer and never seen a wet crest.

I'm impressed by the Polish breed, I must say. For a "fancy" chicken, they have a lot of "chicken" in them - scratching and foraging as well as any member of the flock.

I'll second the nipple waterer. I have a couple of Polish in my flock, and they do well with the nipple waterer and never seen a wet crest.

I'm impressed by the Polish breed, I must say. For a "fancy" chicken, they have a lot of "chicken" in them - scratching and foraging as well as any member of the flock.
I agree! I think they are unaware of their unique impediment and just get on with being a chicken. They haven't known any different after all. I love their clean feet, tight feathering and slightly athletic body shape. And boy can mine run and jump when they want to get away or over a fence to some good grass!

By comparison, my pekin is far more impeded by her short legs, round body shape and feathered feet than my polish are by their crests. She is like a fluffy football. If only she would roll!

Back
Top Bottom