Polish chickens getting heads getting plucked

Therese Brown

Chirping
Jul 26, 2021
So I have a question. I have 2 polish chicks and I don't know what happened initially but they are both losing their feathers on their head. I put the purple stuff on their heads but the other chicks were picking at their heads after. Seems to have made the issue worse. I have them separated in dog pens inside the coop but wondering why this happened and will it keep happening. How long do I need to isolate for. They want to be with their buddies so bad but I don't feel it's safe until their feathers grow back. How long does this take. They were all raised together. There are more feathers missing now since these photos. They are currently 10 weeks old so are the rest of the flock

Attachments

• 20210903_152635.jpg
    20210903_152635.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210903_152643.jpg
    20210903_152643.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210903_152552.jpg
    20210903_152552.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210903_152540.jpg
    20210903_152540.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210903_152521.jpg
    20210903_152521.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210903_152524.jpg
    20210903_152524.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 2
I had this same issue with 2 polish every so often as long as they lived. BluKote worked for me, spraying it on the head bare spots every 2 days, until feather grew back in a month or so. Catching it early before all feathers are gone helps. Other brands of BluKote may not work as well, since gentian violet is the main ingredient, and some brands such as Wound Kote may not be as blue. Separating in a dog crate with food and water, and using plain Neosporin ointment works well too. As long as they can see the other chickens and remain part of the flock, they can usually go back in without a problem.

I had this same issue with 2 polish every so often as long as they lived. BluKote worked for me, spraying it on the head bare spots every 2 days, until feather grew back in a month or so. Catching it early before all feathers are gone helps. Other brands of BluKote may not work as well, since gentian violet is the main ingredient, and some brands such as Wound Kote may not be as blue. Separating in a dog crate with food and water, and using plain Neosporin ointment works well too. As long as they can see the other chickens and remain part of the flock, they can usually go back in without a problem.
Thank you

Sometimes polish work in a mixed flock and sometimes they don't. I have had both experiences and now only keep bantams and all is well, save for the odd occasion when one of my dominant hens will "have a go".

If it becomes a persistent problem, then you need to think about splitting your flock, getting rid of the worst bullies, or rehoming the polish.

In the meantime, try tying up their crest with an elastic band and keeping them in the flock. No chicken can peck their head when it's basically a thick vertical ponytail and it will protect the wound and new feather growth. It also means they have decent peripheral vision and can run before the pecker gets to them.

Sometimes polish work in a mixed flock and sometimes they don't. I have had both experiences and now only keep bantams and all is well, save for the odd occasion when one of my dominant hens will "have a go".

If it becomes a persistent problem, then you need to think about splitting your flock, getting rid of the worst bullies, or rehoming the polish.

In the meantime, try tying up their crest with an elastic band and keeping them in the flock. No chicken can peck their head when it's basically a thick vertical ponytail and it will protect the wound and new feather growth. It also means they have decent peripheral vision and can run before the pecker gets to them.
Thank you so much. This is great advice and I will try tomorrow

I had the same experience with that blue goopy stuff-- seemed to attract more attention & make matters worse. BlueKote spray works great. I always keep a can handy for picking/pin feather wounds.

Back
Top Bottom