Polish chickens mop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by colducksi, Sep 29, 2011.

1. colducksi

colducksi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    I don't know the proper name for the mop on top of the head, but my white one is now kind of muddy, and don't know how to keep it clean. Can anyone tell me?
    Thanks.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's called a crest. You might have better luck posting on the "Polish thread" . I understand they are very high maintenance because their crests get into food / water, everything and if it stays wet it can be very damaging to the bird.

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a Houdan hen who has the same type of crest as a Polish.

I trim it - with a small scissors - to keep it out of her eyes and in Winter so it doesn't dip into the water bowl & freeze.

As muddy as she gets, somehow the crest dries looking pretty clean so I never bother to do anything to get it cleaner.

4. colducksi

Sep 22, 2011
    Thank you!

5. colducksi

Sep 22, 2011
    Quote:Forgot to ask you what type of waterer do you use, and how do you keep it from freezing in the winter?

6. RoriStix

RoriStix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Old Colorado City
    So far I haven't had much trouble with my Polish hen's crest. It is nice and clean in front. She doesn't get it in the water or food. It is stained in the back because I was doctoring her head when I first got her, due to the pecking from her previous flock. As a bonus, the iodine-based treatment discouraged my hens from pecking at her, and now she is fully integrated without a problem. A lot of the iodine has worn off, but I imagine she'll have a rusty stain to the back of the crest until all new feathers grow in. I do lightly trim some feathers in front to help her see better, but not much, and she actually does pretty well with getting around. She is super friendly, knows her name, and follows me around. Despite their reputation for being stupid, I think she's the smartest of the group. She is easily my favorite of the chickens. Can you tell I love this chicken?

7. colducksi

Sep 22, 2011
    Absolutely, and thank you!!

8. LindaCT

LindaCT Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    One of my Polishes is also the cleverest and exceptionally friendly. S/he (at 2 months, I am guessing it's a roo but not sure of course) is always the first to try a new treat, besides always being in the middle of the food! S/he follows me around like a puppy.

I think a good sand bath helps to keep the crests clean, some of them got quite bedraggled when they were tiny and lived in a box but as soon as they could get out and into the sand they looked better.

9. colducksi

Sep 22, 2011
    Will try it, thanks.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Some people tie the crest up in a rubber band or something too. It looks really funny but it keeps that crest out of their way so they can see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by