1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish Chickens *PICS now on 1st post*!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TC, Mar 4, 2009.

1. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    I have some polish bantams (Black Crested White) I am thinking about putting pics up, but you may be able to answer my question. I have seen lots of pics of BCW's and the females don't have wattles. Do they and I just don't see them? I have 4 I want to sex and maybe I can determine it by wattlidge, lol. Or would you rather see pics? they are 4 weeks old today.

Supposed to be bantams, but right now they are pretty darn big!! Twice as big as my Cochins or my Silkies!

Polish #1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polish #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polish #3 This is King, because of all that black on his crest!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polish #4 My girls call her princess, because she looks like she has a tiara on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I think it wold be easier with some photos up here. I am very bad at wattlidge myself. I think the boys have bigger wattles that the girsl

3. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    bearded polish aren't soposed to have wattles, non-bearded are sopposed to have small wattles.......

4. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    please post pics [​IMG] the hens will have very small wattles if bantams and they will almost disappear when they aren't laying.

5. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    Okay. They are only 4 weeks old (hatched 2-4-09) Can you still tell then? Will their poof ball head show anything?

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My girl took a few good months, almost a whole year, to even start developing her wattles. She was also the last hen to start laying.

You can post pics, though the age is still young you may get some help. Crest sexing is going to be what's easiest for you but that takes the time to develope the crest. Males will have more dread-locked feathers on their heads and girls will have poof-balls, like a giant afro.

7. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    New with pics.

8. ThePolishPrincess

See, when they're that young their top hats all look the same. [​IMG] Those are White Crested Blacks. The lack of wattles can still mean boys, but I don't want to give you guesses that might be totally wrong. I THINK all girls, though I can see some boyish crest feathers on Polish Number 2 and 3. You may have to wait.

ETA: Maybe I take that back. The backs only look like strands because they're still growing in. The fronts look like poofy 'fros. [​IMG]

9. TC

TC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    La Grange, Ca
    Quote:Oh my goodness, thats what I ment. Pregnant + 3 kids wears on you after all day [​IMG]

10. ThePolishPrincess

Don't sweat it, I do that ALOT. Now I just refer to her as 'My Polish' so I'm safe. They are cute though! [​IMG] They'll be just lovely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by