1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish chickens tolerating cold weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by garyat1965, Oct 4, 2010.

1. garyat1965

garyat1965 New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    Michigan
    To add interest to our flock we have white crested black, buff laced, and golden laced Polish--4 total Polish among 50 standard size chickens.
    To prepare for Michigan winters, I'm preparing the coops for winter, but wonder about any problems Polish chickens might have--crests freezing etc-- in snowy, rainy weather.
    Do Polish breeds need more special attention in winter than other standard breeds like wyandottes, RIR, New Hampshires, Leghorns, Australorps? What can we do to make sure the Polish chickens don't suffer in the Michigan winter weather?
    Anyone else have experience with Polish chickens in cold climates??

As always, thanks so much for your feedback.

2. chrisarvor

chrisarvor Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    bulgaria
    i have just bought some polish,8 of them,i live in Bulgaria where it goes down to -20 is the norm in winter
    and these are two year old birds and wnet through our worst winter for 50 yrs last year( -35) so i wouldnt worry to much
    People here cant afford to heat there coups so the birds just get on with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by