Polish Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jackiedon, Jul 29, 2007.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Those of you that have older Polish Chickens can you tell me about how old they are when they start laying? What size and color egg? an egg a day?

My Polish are 17 and 18 weeks old and I've been expecting them soon but then I've read some breeds don't start until 25 weeks.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

jackie

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    My polish standards that were hatched last June and July didn't lay that summer at all. I have eggs March through August every year.

They started laying this past March. I get one egg a day from 8 of the 11 and one every other day from the remaining 3 hens. They have just started to slow down for the season this past week.

My pair of older polish lay on the same schedule.

Medium size white egg, more evenly oval shaped than a normal store bought egg. Sometimes it can be hard to tell which end is the small one.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yes, when I had Polish I remember them being late bloomers as well.

4. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I guess my teacher friends won't be buying fresh eggs regularly when school starts. The chicks were born in March and the teachers were hoping by August they would be laying so they could start buying eggs regularly.

Thanks for your input.

We are going to put our golden lace, buff lace and black with white crest in the fair this year all of these are standard. I would love to put our Black with white crest rooster in because they are so big and pretty except where they peck each other and they are bald!!! I also have some frizzle polish bantams that I plan to put in there too.

jackie

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I don't know if location will effect when they lay or not. It will be interesting to see if someone near you has different results with the Polish. I am in Maine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by