1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by werttyy, Apr 21, 2011.

1. werttyy

werttyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Does anyone have any experiences with Polish Chickens?
    I'm debating between getting some or some other breed. Are they quiet?
    What are some pros and cons??
    THANKS

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I have some that are spastic and some that are real tame Sorry I couldn't help you more.

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I got one as my "surprise" chicken with my order. I really liked her. Unfortunately, all those cute feathers on their heads, make them the first to get picked by predators. They just don't see trouble coming. I think the fact they have a limited field of vision, is also why they seem tame. If you have a covered run, I would try a couple. They really are fun...

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have them and love them but they do do better in a covered space. If they get wet the can't see well and freak out! Mine walk backwards to get away from the goblins above! They are hindered in their sight by the head feathers so they aren't as carefree as others. Today mine got out of the picket fence, got under the house and could not figure out how to turn around and come back out the way she went in.
    sharon

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I had one several years ago. I got one as the free exotic from McMurry. I liked mine, but the other chickens did not like the Polish. They would keep attacking it. I had to rehome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by