Polish Chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Keisha, May 23, 2007.

1. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Well right at the moment, we have 30 chickens. 3 of them are older buff brahma bantams, a rooster and two hens. The other 25 are the chicks we got from the hatchery. well acually 4 of them are older and were born eeaster. We traded 4 of ours for 4 of a family friend's son chicks. Because he wanted to show someof his at the fair. And we have such a small town, that all of the chicks have to be the same age, and ours were, but his were too old, and he didnt know that untill after he got the chicks. So now we havet them (and they are cornish rocks) and our 6 Cornish Rocks, that will be 4 weeks on Friday. Then we have 15 'colored' -or thats what we refer to them as- chicks that are also almost 4 weeks old. There are Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Hardy Concords, Rhode island reds, and Aruacraunas (sp?). Oh and then we have two other older pullets that are 3 months I believe, give or take. They are the colored egg layers.

Well I just got am email from my mom saying that she went to the hatchery to get somemore chick feed since we were almost out (and she could have gone to the farm & home store but she didnt want to switch brands). She said that she couldn't resist some of these day old polish chicks. I'm going to have to put a leash on her I swear, we really dont need any more chicknens ( we have 30 now not including the new ones she just got, plus we have 25 more comging in mid june!) So I was wondering what these, look like, and if anyone has or had them before? (I'm not at her house right now) I've never heard of them.

2. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Here is my daughter with one of our polish chicks.
    [​IMG]

they are so cute! Crystal

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    My Golden Polish pair from last year(since have been sold as a pair). I liked them, I just had so many breeds going on and just want to concentrate on a few breeds. Maybe....LOL I used to have as many chickens as you, Keisha, now I've cut back to about 15, but now I'm getting 14 more chicks in a week!!! They're addicting! Glad I don't live with in driving distance of a hatchery, I could just see myself going there every other day and bringing home a few chicks. [​IMG]

4. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Angie I have some golden polish in the bator right now:) C

5. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    They're addicting! Glad I don't live with in driving distance of a hatchery, I could just see myself going there every other day and bringing home a few chicks.

It is hard to keep are selves from goign in the hatchery, every time we go pass it. And having chickens sure is addicting!!
    Oh they are nice looking birds! I thought that she had gotten all this kind. But she has an assortment of them in there. There are silkies, polish, and americanas for sure. They are all bantams, and are SOOO tiny, i bet they are half the size of when my regular sized chicks were the same age. I'm suprised!
    So the current total for us is 40! Wow. And my mom wants more of the polish ones, I"m guesing she bought the last ones they had. So I think that we are going to buy some from Ideal, possibly mcmurray. Since its very rare that our hatchery has bantams.​

6. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are my polish:

Sanjay:

[​IMG]

Geisha:

[​IMG]

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    <<-----my white crested blue polish roo.

And two of his girls.

[​IMG]

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    OOOOO I love the blue polish! Any plans for chicks?? [​IMG]

PS...BYC is bad for my wallet...LOL!!

9. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Any plans for chicks?

Maybe later this year, I just did a test run of the blues, my stock is a little too young. But I lost my favorite hen and she had just laid an egg the day before so I put a clutch in the incubator. That only yielded 4 fertile out of 12, 4 developed and only one made it to a successful hatch. The blues are pretty, but I still find the wc blacks more striking to see out together. [​IMG] I normal have a high hatch rate, so I will let the roo mature a little longer before I try again. I have found that the blues have a low hatch rate success though.

Next season for sure if everything goes well.​

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  10. szy.cpr

szy.cpr Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    hi, i have 4 polish cuckoo chicks, only a week old and they r sooo cute, but do you know if they r good layers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by