Polish Chicks hatching with hard dry stuff on them

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rechellef, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Rechellef

Rechellef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I have two sets of eggs hatching right now - white crested polish and blue ameracauna. The BA's are hatching out normally as wet chicks and then dry fluffy like they should. However, for some reason, it appears there is a drying out issue with the polish chick eggs. Two who have hatched (this is the same bator as the BA's) have shells stuck to them and their feathers don't fluff, stay stiff and stick together. First of all, why and second, what can I do for these chicks. They are chirpping and running around like the others and seem fairly strong. Should I put their bodies in warm water for a minute or do a warm cloth?

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I won't give a sure answer but I just hatched out some Marans and one had membrane stuck to the back of the head and a little on the back. I left her in the hatcher an extra day to get fluffed out, then took a warm cloth and soaked the membrane till it fell off her. Put her back in the hatcher for about 10 more minutes to dry off, she's now fluffy and playing with the others.
    Do what you feel is right, likely won't hurt the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by