1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish chicks-how long before we can tell the sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sonew123, May 17, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I had 3 polish chicks hatch out yesterday-how long can I expect to have to wait until I can tell the gender on these? Can anyone give me a clue as to what to look for? thanks so much

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    anyone please? [​IMG]

3. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I'd say in about 6-9 weeks you will know

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    The girls hair will be more round an like a puffball. The roos will be more spikey. I could tell pretty soon on mine and I was right on all of them. Look at different pics and you will see the difference.

5. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    There is a way to sex them if you sex them by their wings. If the wing feathers of a chick are shorter than the other it's a female and if the wing feathers of another chick is the same height then it's a male

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Polish are sex linked chickens?

7. skycladfaeielady

skycladfaeielady New Egg

May 19, 2009
    Coatesville, Indiana
    My Polish are 8 weeks old & 4 of them are attempting to crow! I knew that they were roos about 2 weeks ago.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Mine are only a few days old and I want to know the sexes before penning them all with the other chicks-I can wait a while to do so-I was hoping it would be easier than other breeds? my luck [​IMG] LOL

9. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    You can get an idea by 4-6 weeks based on comb and wattles. The pullets have no comb at all as chicks and they have no wattles either. (Some of my crested pullets have gotten tiny flesh colored wattles, but they don't grow or turn red.) The roos will get red wattles showing up as early as 3 weeks, and some of them will get those funny horns at the top of their beak for a comb by 4 weeks.

The crest can be deceiving--I have had Polish with very round looking crests and they have later suddenly grown in spikes. By later I mean at 15 weeks! But the tricky crested birds had wattles and a comb by 4 weeks...

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Greatthats what I was looking for-so If I can see the hornson the beak/ combs-I can assume it's a roo--It's 5 days old and I swear I see it alread on 2 of them-when they hatched I looked and went crap those are roo's! My DH thought I was crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by