Polish Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 65browneyes, Jun 7, 2008.

1. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I have 3, 8 week old Polish chicks who are beginning to show signs of their gender, I think. I'd love to hear opinions from all the experts out there as to pullet/cockeral on these three.

Here's Pancho. He won't let me see him attempting to crow, but I'm sure it's him I've been hearing. He likes to bully his mates.

[​IMG]

Here's Lefty. The jury's out on this one. From what I've been told, judging by the 'fro', this is a cockeral, but no wattles yet, like Pancho has.

[​IMG]

Last, but not least is Knobby. Reasonably sure this one will leave nice eggs for me someday.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I'm going to say Pancho is a cokeral, Lefty is a pullet(sometimes the females get the boyish looking hats when they're first growing in), and Knobby is defiantly a pullet. They are gorgeous!

3. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh, thank you, P_P! I was hoping you would chime in on this one! I've never had Polish, and have never even been around them, so these are totally new waters I'm treading on here! LOL

At any rate, I really, really was hoping Lefty was throwing the curve ball on purpose.

Thanks again!!

4. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:Where did you get them? Sometimes hatchery type birds don't have all the perfect "features" But at this age it's still hard to tell. When my polish were a few months old I thought I had all males, also because of their top hats, but I ended up with more girls then boys [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Here is a pic of my 7 week old WCB polish pullet. To me the first one looks very boyish. The 2nd, I am not sure but the third def, girl.

Hope this helps a little!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    First one a cockeral, second one could be either but with the lack of wattle development I will lean towards Pullet, even thought the cere is rather reddish. Last one a Pullet.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had WCBP but they were flighty and skittish. They did lay nice white eggs.

I am going to say #1 cockeral - #2 lack of wattles supect pullet but could be a late developing cockeral - I'm gonna go with cokeral #3 pullet.

Great hair do - bec. LOL

I had mine in with my main layers. The cuckoo marans girls plucked her bald and just wouldn't leave her alone. I eventually got rid of all of them. She had a great poof like yours. I had to trim it so one of them could see because it was obstructing her view.

Chicken-mama, your pullet looks like from the photo she might need you to trim her poof from her eyes so she can see. The feathers will grow until she is blinded by them. When you trim them and they can see they go racing around like the sky is falling. LOL

8. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    those are great looking I have the Buff Laced and Golden and I am so thrilled with how this project is coming along - I started with hatchery and over the last two years have worked with them -
    I don't trim because I show but I keep the polish in a coop that is all their own and never mix them with other breeds - Since they have Polish Town they don't have enemies to to watch for -- but with any crested breed rountine is the flip to trimming
    keep food and water in the same place and make sure they can see it where it is- move the crest to make sure eyes are healthy -- Very nice pics

PP how is your tolbert project comming ????

9. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Thanks Miss Prissy!! lol, she does have quite the do!!! She is by far the sweetest one out of all the new babies this year. How do you trim , just around the eyes?

10. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Ha ha, just have to say that I love the names. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by