polish, cochin, and silkie colors.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kirsten95, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Kirsten95

Kirsten95 New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Maryland
    I've had chickens for a long time and Im looking to start breeding chickens and Im just wondering for example.. Do i need a buff laced polish hen and rooster to get a buff polish chick and would i only get buff laced chicks with a buff laced pair? Same with silkie and cochin. I would like to get the least amount of rooster for the most color variety. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Also I've been a member to this site before i just forgot my amount so now Im a newby again. ):

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For the most part, to get good quality colours/patterns, you need to breed like to like. There are a very few exceptions. My best advice is to find the variety and breed that makes your heart sing, and get those. If there is another breed and variety that also make your heart sing, get those. Don't necessarily expect that they varieties will be compatible for breeding. If you tell us what really excites you, we can probably give you some guidance on whether there are compatible breeding varieties.

3. Kirsten95

Kirsten95 New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Maryland
    well with silkies i really like the buff and blue but i only have 2 white hens and 1 partridge hen and two partridge roosters. Im looking to get more of the buff and blue, Im getting five of each straight run, do you think ill get enough variety with sex? Im planning to keep them in a run together, is that alright? Also Im getting five black silkies, should i not get them to make blue and splash? Also with the polish i plan to put about five different colors in a pen together, would i still get standard colors or would they be mixed? Thanks for all the help!! :)

4. Kirsten95

Kirsten95 New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Maryland
    Any help?

5. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I'm far from a genetics expert, but I'll give you my two cents. Blue, black, and splash silkies do well penned together and bred together. Many people do it. If you buy hatching eggs, you'll sometimes see them marked BBS, because blue, black, or splash may hatch from the eggs.

As Sonoran said above, it's generally best to separate colors. If they're just your pets, then you can put them all together, but if you're looking to improve quality, show, sell them, you want to try to improve.

Some of the newer colors (like paint) still aren't all the way worked out and can throw other colors. That's something that is trying to be resolved so they breed true to the color they are. By taking established colors that are recognized and breed true, and then cross them to another color, you're kind of back tracking on everything that's been done to get them where they are. But if you just want a bunch of mixed colors for fun and hobby, you certainly can.

Paints for example, are my favorite color. They are still known for throwing odd colors in offspring. Some of this is from them having been bred to other colors along the way to experiment with the paint coloration. It's taking a long time to reverse that. Sometimes paints are bred to high quality black or other colors to try to get improvements from new bloodlines, but in general, with established colors like blue and buff, you wouldn't want to mix the two for a serious project.

Hope all that makes sense! :)

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Sonoran had good advice. If you want pure colors then you will have to pen by color. No way around it really. Sure you may get some pure colors out of a mixed pen, but most probably will not be. However it all depends on what your goal is.

7. Kirsten95

Kirsten95 New Egg

Nov 17, 2012
    Maryland
    thank you guys so much! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by