Polish Cockerel limping - unknown cause

NNations

Songster
May 1, 2018
Fredericksburg, Texas
Hey y’all, Chocolate, my Polish Cockerel, started limping and I can’t figure out why. I examined him and see no physical injuries or dark spots pertaining to bumblefoot. I’m guessing he has maybe a pulled muscle? I took a video but it won’t let me post it. Is there anything else I should look for or do for him while he heals? He free ranges every other day because he is hormonal and has to alternate with the girls. Thank you for any advice, this is my first rodeo.

A009F04F-EC53-41E5-ADE1-AFC6D344087F.jpeg

How old is he? In my experience leg injuries are rare, lameness due to the likes of Marek's Disease, particularly in young birds, is more common. Video needs to be hosted on another site like You Tube or Vimeo and a link to it posted here. Does he appear to be in pain or just unable to bear weight on that leg? ie Is he consciously favouring the other leg or is the bad leg just looking weak. It is difficult to explain the difference in words but once you see lameness due to pain and lameness due to neurological issues, the two are often significantly different. A video might therefore help us advise you better.
Was he vaccinated for Marek's and where did you get him?

How old is he? In my experience leg injuries are rare, lameness due to the likes of Marek's Disease, particularly in young birds, is more common. Video needs to be hosted on another site like You Tube or Vimeo and a link to it posted here. Does he appear to be in pain or just unable to bear weight on that leg? ie Is he consciously favouring the other leg or is the bad leg just looking weak. It is difficult to explain the difference in words but once you see lameness due to pain and lameness due to neurological issues, the two are often significantly different. A video might therefore help us advise you better.
Was he vaccinated for Marek's and where did you get him?

He is about 14 weeks old. I had ruled out Marek’s Disease in my head because he doesn’t seem to be in pain even when we feel up his leg, he doesn’t stop to lie down and he still maintains the new Alpha role with the other bantam cockerels. Just limping and that’s it. Still his normal self. But again, I am new to this. :confused: We got him at Tractor Supply and I’m pretty sure they were vaccinated but I don’t remember what all for.

Marek's does not cause pain, that's why I asked. It is usually just a numbness or inability to control a muscle. It is generally asymmetric and can be as subtle as being unable to keep one eyelid fully open or as dramatic as a bird suddenly floundering on their side unable to get up.... and everything in between. In the early stages they will appear perfectly healthy with a bright comb and eating and drinking well and they may suddenly and spontaneously recover, even from quite dramatic impairment. I've had young birds with it that were perfectly fine one day, a bit lame the next, floundering on their side unable to get up the following day and 2 days later be running around as if nothing had happened. They are prone to subsequent and usually more prolonged attacks if they survive the first which can be weeks months or even years later but quality of life can be totally normal in between.
In that second video, did I see him standing on his own toes? If you watch him closely, does that happen often? That can be an indication of numbness, but on the whole his lameness does appear to be quite controlled and a deliberate favouring of one leg, so hopefully it is not Marek's. Did you check for Bumblefoot?

Marek's does not cause pain, that's why I asked. It is usually just a numbness or inability to control a muscle. It is generally asymmetric and can be as subtle as being unable to keep one eyelid fully open or as dramatic as a bird suddenly floundering on their side unable to get up.... and everything in between. In the early stages they will appear perfectly healthy with a bright comb and eating and drinking well and they may suddenly and spontaneously recover, even from quite dramatic impairment. I've had young birds with it that were perfectly fine one day, a bit lame the next, floundering on their side unable to get up the following day and 2 days later be running around as if nothing had happened. They are prone to subsequent and usually more prolonged attacks if they survive the first which can be weeks months or even years later but quality of life can be totally normal in between.
In that second video, did I see him standing on his own toes? If you watch him closely, does that happen often? That can be an indication of numbness, but on the whole his lameness does appear to be quite controlled and a deliberate favouring of one leg, so hopefully it is not Marek's. Did you check for Bumblefoot?

Oh ok, that’s crazy. I’ll keep watching, thank you so much for informing me of this aweful disease. I’ll keep watching, I’ve never noticed him stepping on his toes before. He’s not very coordinated with his side stepping hormonal walk so I just assumed that was why. He just started it a week or so ago. I did check for bumblefoot and will continue to in case something pops up. So far nothing.

If it is a pulled muscle or sprain, is there anything I should do to help it heal faster or just allow to heal on its own over time? I saw online that someone gave their chicken half of a Tylenol every morning for 5 days to help but I'm not so sure about that. Today he will be in his coop and run since the girls are free ranging so he won't be foraging as much. Maybe the limited mobility will help. I put oregano oil in their water last night for an extra immune boost.

Back
Top Bottom