Polish Cockrel feeling his cheerios

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I have 3 silkies and 1 polish that is a crowing his head off the past 2 weeks.
Today when I let them out to roam, he is literally chasing the silkies around like a mad man. He chased Vanilli right into the run, all through the run and back out again.
Then he came over to Mango and tried to pounce on him (this is the one he usually tries to bow up on). Then he went back to chasing Vanilli again.
My question, now that you hopefully have an idea of his behavior, is this normal 10 wk old cockrel behavior? Is he just feeling his cheerios? He's too young to be attempting to mate right?
What can I do to get him to tone it down so he doesn't petrify the silkies?

Last edited:
He's too young to be attempting to mate right?
Mate and/or dominate.
It's young, but not unprecedented.

Are the silkies also 10wks...have they all lived together since hatch?

Separate/crate him for most the day.

Yes they have been together since born...and I've never separated them from each other. And all dame age.
But he much larger than the silkies even though they are all bantams - is that normal?
He seems to be worse first thing in the morning and not doing it now. Just roaming with the silkies like normal.
That's why I wondered if he was just filling his cheerios this morning when they got out.

I don't know what this means
feeling his cheerios

But your Polish seems to have hormonal overflow trying to mate whatever comes his way.

This harassing behaviour might even be the reason for your other Silkies' digestive problems. Having to be on the look-out for a rampant harassing hormonal teenager at all times, he will not have time to eat, drink and preen properly. Constant stress leads to all kinds of health issues.

I have 3 silkies and 1 polish that is a crowing his head off the past 2 weeks.
Today when I let them out to roam, he is literally chasing the silkies around like a mad man. He chased Vanilli right into the run, all through the run and back out again.
Then he came over to Mango and tried to pounce on him (this is the one he usually tries to bow up on). Then he went back to chasing Vanilli again.
My question, now that you hopefully have an idea of his behavior, is this normal 10 wk old cockrel behavior? Is he just feeling his cheerios? He's too young to be attempting to mate right?
You can add an adult rooster, this will instantly stop his nasty behavior.

He's too young to be attempting to mate right?

I once had a well developed French Marans cockerel who started to crow and tried to mate his broody mom at only 5 weeks of age.

So 10 weeks is the usual time for male teenage hormones to run wild and they therefore should be separated from the pullets which will mature much later.

He seems to be worse first thing in the morning and not doing it now. Just roaming with the silkies like normal.
Yes, normal for them to be more active early and sometimes late in the day.
Morning Wood,(another american? idiom) so to speak. :gig

Is he just feeling his cheerios?
A play on the saying 'feeling his oats".
Cheerios are an oat cereal.

Back
Top Bottom