Polish cockrel had his feathers ripped off his head along..

chickenchickenbulkbulk

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
OHIO
with his skin. The leghorns tore him up. Poor little guy was trying to hide his head under a log! His feathers are dangling and he has no skin where his feathers were growing out of the top of his head. I brought him in and cleaned the wound. He smells this morning. He is eating and drinking fine. Any suggestions? Should I start antibiotics?

I would just put some topical antibiotics on him and watch him closely. Is he the only polish?

The reason I ask is because the other chickens think there is something wrong with them because their feathers look weird and that is why you get picking. It is best if you can keep them with their own kind, smaller birds, or with birds you know will not pick.

I have heard Polish would probably always be on the low part of the pecking totem pole. I would think the feathers might obscure their vision. I would probably only put polish with other polish or with a more docile breed. It seems the oranamental type breeds will always seem to lose out to hardier breed such as your leghorn.

pips&peeps :

I would just put some topical antibiotics on him and watch him closely. Is he the only polish?

The reason I ask is because the other chickens think there is something wrong with them because their feathers look weird and that is why you get picking. It is best if you can keep them with their own kind, smaller birds, or with birds you know will not pick.

No, I have 2 Polish roos, They were hatched out together. I have to keep them separated or they will pluck each other bold. I tried to put a frizzle bantom in with them and they tried to pick them bold. Everything in the chicken yard wants to pick them bald. I don't know how people raise them. When they do have all there feathers they are blind on the side..they can only see in front of them..They really don't need to be let out? You can come up and catch them from behind. They can't see you coming. I am going to find a home for these roos. Any takers..there free. DeeJay​

Back
Top Bottom