Polish color questions - PICS added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tikidoc, Aug 23, 2008.

1. tikidoc

tikidoc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2007
    I'll try to post pics later. In our last batch of chicks that we purchased, we supposedly got 4 black crested blue Polish. They are about 6 weeks old. Two appear solid black. One is mostly white with random gray feathers scattered all over it's body. The last one is a solid light gray, with a slight blue tint.

Any ideas what I have???

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    due to the blue gene if you have true black crested blues you'll be getting three colors: black top black body, black top and splash body (mostly white with grey and black here andthere), and black crested blue. so you have what you ordered it sounds like. out of curiousity where'd you order them out of?

3. tikidoc

Dec 23, 2007
    They came from Sand Hill Preservation.

I will post pics this afternoon. Sounds like I have an explanation for the black ones, but both of the other two have tops that are the same color as their bodies, not black (or even remotely close to black). The white one has a white top, they gray one has a gray top. The only ones with black tops are the solid black birds.

4. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    are they from dave schwartz on eggbid because I know he sells black crested blue polish

5. tikidoc

Dec 23, 2007
    OK, here are some pics:

The white (splash) one:

[​IMG]

The gray:

[​IMG]

One of the black ones (they are the same, as far as coloring - I suspect we have one of each gender, this being the boy):

[​IMG]

So only two of the 4 actually have black crests...

6. tikidoc

Dec 23, 2007
    Bump... so thoughts on these birds?

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The "grey" one is a blue. It looks as though they sent you blue polish eggs instead of black crested blue. That would be why the splash and blue do not have black crests.

8. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    I know who dave swartz is. I know how he breeds too. Long story short, his b.c. blue pen contains solid blues and b.c. blues. so you go tthe blues, not b.c. blues or at least not pure.

they look pretty healthy, not surprising to me for Sandhills birds. it seems here though that you may not have all the necessary genes for the b.c. markings.

9. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Quote:We have bought eggs from dave schwartz he has some good stuff too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by