1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish comb/crest

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BaGAWK!!, Apr 4, 2012.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    At what age does the comb start to grow on a white crested black polish cockerel? In other words, when should I start seeing the "toothpicks" coming out of the crest? I'm trying to figure out if I have a male or female.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Most ideally, never. You want a Polish, doesn't matter the color, to have practically no comb, if not, the smaller the better, meaning you won't see much of a toothpick/V shape until at least 3-4 months of age. Ideally the crest should be full enough to cover what little is there especially when really young.

However, if from hatchery stock which most are, the comb is likely going to be big, so you'll probably see a tiny start of one at about 2 months old, it will progress from there. By 3 months you should see other signs though, such as shiny triangular feathers on the back, between where the wings are held. Those are little baby saddle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by