Polish Crested Bantam - still no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MicheleE, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MicheleE

MicheleE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    I have a Polished Crested Bantam that will be a year old in a couple months and still we have had not a single egg. She is skittish as the other hens (all non-bantam, non-crested) sometimes don't let her join in on eating treats that I bring out. Personality-wise I would say she is timid. Do you think I will ever get eggs from her?
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think it is her atmosphere that is causing her to not lay eggs. If she's being bullied, acts scared of things all the time, etc - The stress will halt her egg production. And then, there's also the fact that a lot of Polish out there don't lay until much later. Personally I've never had such issues, but it does happen.
  3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I have 2 white crested black polish. They get along well with the flock & are not under any stress. the darn things almost never lay an egg. They are 10 months old & between the two I've gotten maybe 10 eggs total. I used to think they were hiding them in the yard somewhere & I couldn't find them - but now with winter they never leave the coop & still don't lay eggs.

It must be the breed.
  4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have three polish. One is for sure a roo. The other two I think are hens but no eggs and they are now around 9 or 10 months old.
  5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I have one who lays and she is 11 months old, but the 4 who are 7 months old I've gotten nada from [​IMG]
  6. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I think the low egg laying may be why they live a long life, some lines lay better then others. My girls line was supposed to be a good line for egg laying but who knows. She's the one I got just for looks not for her egg laying though as my sex links lay well.
  7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have around 20+ bantam polish and as long as I have light and they are out of the weather then they lay. I get an egg about every 3 or 4 days from the ones that are over 10 months(they do go in spurts though). If it is real cold they slow why down.My standard polish lay almost daily with 12-14 hours of light. I do notice when I move the pens then they stop for a week. If I mess with them or bother them a lot it effects the laying too but thats just for the whites. My BCW are very laid back and are pretty good layers.
  8. MicheleE

MicheleE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Thanks for your responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by