Polish Crested de-crested AGAIN!!!What do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grammyjladr, Nov 12, 2010.

1. grammyjladr

grammyjladr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    My 13 week old(they all are 13 weeks)Polish crested hen has always been the bottom of the pecking order but I thought it was getting better but they, or maybe just one rooster ripped about half her top crest out again. I am wondering if it was an attempt at mating my an inexperienced EE Rooster? He's second fiddle rooster to a banti cochin roo but is huge himself. Poor Queen Odecoup! She was all bloody headed again. It has not happened in weeks now and I watch her eat last, perch alone, and hid alot. I usually don't witness the agression but its obvious its coming from somewhere. I found the EE roo with her blocked behind a box in kind of a mating stance but not at that point trying anything. She really did not have anywhere to go. I shoo'd him away and she is in the garage alone in the booding box for a few days to heal. Will she ever fit in? Is it just him being rough on her or could they all be when I'm not looking? I have seen the cochin roo protect her and 4 others but thats the only help she gets. She seems so lonely. she is very people friendly and loves to be petted and held by people. I am way new at this and could use all the help I can get. I'm so new to this I really don't know what to expect or how rough the males are by nature. Would they be trying to mate at 13 weeks? I sit with them and hand feed and hold and pet everyday for a while but really really do not know what to do. Ihate the idea of her being hurt. She is the sweetest little loving thing. Is that why she's being beat up?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Some people successfully house polish with other breeds, but I could not. I rehomed my one polish pullet for this very reason. It wasn't fair to her to be constantly pecked and scalped because she had this irresistable poof that the other birds just HAD to pick at. Plus she was flightier due to her crest making it harder for her to see, which I think also attracted the other birds. Good luck with her. [​IMG]

3. CRicci

CRicci New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    I have 11 black polish in my coup. Two are males. One male had the same problem. He was always missing most of his poof. He was second rooster tho. My polish were top in the mixed pen of i dont know how many diffrent breeds. I made sure they were the first in the pen. They are top and all the others are below them. I had to move my top polish roo because he was always picking on the poor second polish in line. The moved roo is having a hard time in the other pen of red sex links but he isnt hurting anyone anymore. The second roo still isnt top in the original pen because i saw my EE roo mating with another hen in front of him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by