Polish Crested dying...right now...update...she just died.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roz, Aug 5, 2011.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I have been having loads of trouble, but that's a different story. Yesterday I brought my Polish Crested inside because her wattles were practically white, and she was very lethargic. I kept thinking something was wrong the last few days...she felt very thin, was taking lots of naps, not eating much, but one of my sons kept saying that's how she's always been. Well, I have been treating the whole flock for worms, and then I thought they might have cocci...had a fecal done and confirmed it, but it was done by a regular vet, so not sure if it was just the normal amount that would be found on the slide. Anyway, I have been trying to find mites because that was the only thing I could think of. I have searched the coop, at night too, put white paper in nesting boxes to see if I could find any. I dusted my girls with pyrmethrin, but my polish has been pecking the air, trying to peck her body. Tonight as I was trying to feed her eggs, and I decided to look more closely at the pompom on her head and sure enough, there were mite eggs, as well as little red globs stuck to her at the base of her feathers. I feel horrible. I just dusted her entire body with the little bit of pyrmethrin dust I have, but is that even something that will kill them? She is so weak.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

mites are very taxing on the body, really infested birds can go down hill fast if not treated, from blood loss, sleepless nites, not wanting to eat to being completely miserable. I'm glad you are treating them. Even the cleanest chicken houses can get mites. [​IMG]

3. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Normally I'm not such a big advocate of doing this, but I think such an emergency calls for it. Have you considered using an application of Flea/Tick medicine (like Frontline or Advantix?) on her? When I used it on my badly infested RIR hen, it went to work in minutes and by the next day all the bugs were gone. I used the kind meant for small kittens and used one whole dose on various spots on her body (on her neck behind her head, a little under the wing pits, and some on her belly underneath the vent, as well as a tiny bit on her back). She suffered no ill effects and the lice infestation was gone.

If your hen's infestation is so bad it's killing her, I personally would recommend breaking out the big guns. Best of luck!

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    If you've used a wormer within the last month or two, I would use some pour on Ivermectin to get the bugs on her. I think I'd give her a nice bath with some Adam's Plus Flea and Tick Shampoo, blow dry her, spritz her with some Adam's Plus Flea and Tick Spray, you can apply some of it with a q-tip under the wattles, around the ears and on the pompom, then do the pour on. That should nip it in the bud. The Adam's plus has some insect regulator in it so it has some longer term effect.

5. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    Thanks for you help. I was able to buy the adam's flea and tick shampoo today as well as the mist. I dont know how much to bathe her in. I have been scouring the posts on BYC and cant seem to find the info.

6. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    This is the worst. I decided to follow the instructions on the bottle...I lathered her up, rinsed her off. I thought she was dead when I got done. My poor son...she is her favorite. She opened one eye for a minute, so we knew we hadnt lost her, and we started feeding her buttermilk with a syringe, and gave her some electrolytes with a syringe. My older son was having to open her beak, but then she would swallow for us. I have her wrapped up in a towel now. I hope she makes it.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I hoping she is just feeling so good from getting the shampoo she just wants to rest. But if she's not eating don't put anything in her mouth just keep doing the electrolytes. I hope she's ok for you. [​IMG]

8. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    So I shouldnt feed her buttermilk? After reading something last week on the forums, I'm afraid to give too much electrolytes because someone said you can kill them.

9. roz

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    One more question besides the buttermilk question. So am I safe to assume my coop and other birds are infested with these mites? They all have nice bright red wattles. When we found lice in May, I diligently cleaned them and the coop every 3-4 days for a month. I havent seen any signs of lice/mites on them since. The only reason I got suspicious was because of our Polish Crested's white wattles. It all happened within a few days. She has never been a good dustbather. The others dust bathe all the time, so are they ok do you think?

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I just meant don't put food in her mouth if she's only going to let it lay in there. Did you check your other birds? I would because they may just have them but not so bad because they dust bathe. It wouldn't hurt to look you may feel better if you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by