Polish Crested wont walk around outside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jackiedanger, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Jackiedanger

Jackiedanger New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    I acquired a Polish Crested hen (about 3.5 months old), she was kept in an area where she couldn't really stretch her head out all the way. I just tried to put her outside, and she wont walk around. Her silkie friend are moving around and exploring, but she not moving. I even tried gently pushing her and nothing. My daschund got in her face and gave her a sniff and she didnt budge. Is she just scared to move around after being in such cramped quarters for so long? Please help.

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Firstly welcome to BYC. It sounds like she is in a little bit of a shock from the change of scenery. I would just let her acclimate at her own speed. She will definitely come around and be fine.

3. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Is she moving around yet??

4. Jackiedanger

Jackiedanger New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome, and Im really excited to be an actual member of the community instead of just browsing for answers! Thanks for your response, I will keep an eye on her.

5. Jackiedanger

Jackiedanger New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    Not yet, her beak is open like shes thirsty, and I have her normal water jar next to her, but shes not drinking. :(

6. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Is she just holding it open or is she every now and then stretching her neck forward like shes gasping for air?

7. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    If you think she is in a little bit of shock, you can help her by putting some electrolytes in the water, like gatorade or powerade.

8. Jackiedanger

Jackiedanger New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    She IS stretching her neck forward. She was also stretching her wings, so I thought she was just stretching out since she couldn't before.

9. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    That sounds like a gape worm to me. It's a worm that lodges in their trachea which obstructs their breathing.

10. Jackiedanger

Jackiedanger New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    Will I have to cull her, or is there a treatment to kill it? My silkies look ok, but they lived with her. Should I treat them also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by