1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish crests in the rain...Oh My!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Carpe DiHen, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    I was shocked to see what happened to my Golden Laced Polish in our first soaking rain yesterday! Her head went completly limp and she had a bald spot showing on her head! Now, after the sun came out, she has been pecking in the mud and her head feathers are still limp and now they are muddy. What a mess!! [​IMG]

You think it is hard for them to see with all those feathers, what about when they go limp? Then get MUDDY! [​IMG]

She can't preen up there! How will she ever get back her nice hair do??? [​IMG]

I wish I had a picture....it was so ugly... and sad looking. [​IMG]

Future Polish crested owners, beware if you live in rainy climates! [​IMG]

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    That happens to my girls too. I actually think they look hilarious [​IMG] We had an unbelievably rainy summer here this year, they got wet heads every week. Somehow they manage to fluff up by the next day, no worries.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I live in the rainiest climate available in the continental USA. [​IMG] I also have a nice sized flock of Polish. . . .

Here's what it can do to them in the winter:

[​IMG]

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I had some BL girls that I swore were pigs, I felt embarrassed anytime someone came to look at birds. they would dunk their whole heads in the waterer and then go roll in the deepest hole in the pen. They looked like they had mange most times, but they sure were happy girls, laid all year round and lots of big eggs.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm getting 6 pullets and a roo tomorrow. Glad it doesn't rain much here.

6. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:OH MY GAWD, that's IT! [​IMG] How do they ever get clean? [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:OH MY GAWD, that's IT! [​IMG] How do they ever get clean? [​IMG]

Eventually the mud comes out, and then the crest dries up when it stops raining. . . . Y'know, about 3-4 months later. [​IMG]

8. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Ahhhh gotta love polish in the rain!!! [​IMG] One of the roo's, Bandit, has a chunk of missing feathers on his head (thanks to the Delaware roo [​IMG] ) thats been growing back (he's taken to sleeping in the carport now [​IMG] ) but, they were all out in the rain today, and his crest went FLAT!! It looked like someone smushed it with a skillet [​IMG] kinda like a strange wide brim hat, poor guy [​IMG]

9. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:They should come with a warning!... like "dry clean only"?!! [​IMG]

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Hahahah that is funny! I covered my run completely cause my polish didn't know to get out of the rain! Poor things they looked awful. I was embarassed for them.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by