Polish eye injury - 3 weeks later no improvement..help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Mar 10, 2013.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    I have a 1 year old polish rooster who somehow managed to injure his eye. This was a little over 3 weeks ago now. i've had him inside and have been cleaning his eye of goo 2 x per day and put antibiotics in the water to help fight infection. as advised by a local pharmacy i applied an eye ointment every night for 7 days, but this hasnt helped either. it is as if there is a swelling over his eyeball, if you move this out of the way his eye is intact underneath. everyday there is a new covering of 'cheese' puss over his eye which i have to smooth off with a piece of wet cotton wool/q-tip (warm salted water). he seems happy enough in himself, eating drinking and getting around fine. im just worried about the puss (infection?) and the effect on his eyeball.

what else can i try for him? should i carry on with the eye ointment (optim-something cant remember the whole name will have to look later when im home)? more/different antibiotics? (hes on denagard) you can see the amount of discharge that comes out by the mess round his feathers., should i perhaps cut some of his crest away for now??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    could it be a tumour? how can i tell?

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    What are you using for an antibiotic? Either something is still 'in there' or the antibiotic wasn't right for the infection. If it were me, I would start with a warm saline solution to gently clean the eye area. 1/4 tsp of salt to 1 cup of warm water. It will probably sting a bit but it will help clean up some of the matter. Personally, I don't like the idea of a cream or ointment for eye injuries for birds if they are not seperated out of the flock. Too many chances to get something mixed into the stuff and have it act as a wick to draw it into the eye.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    hi
    antibiotic - denagard.
    he is inside away from the flock and has been for the past 3 weeks
    he gets an eye wipe 2 x per day with saline water. should i be 'flushing' it out rather than wiping it out?

5. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Good that he's away from the rest. You could try the flush but you need to be gentle and not push anything into the eye socket. Maybe compresses rather than just the washing. A chamomile tea bag wet with warm, warm water and held there for 10-15 mins.. I know...this isn't going to be easy to do. I don't know what to advise about an antibiotic though. I dont know what you have available to you in Belgium. I don't know what the ointment is either. Is it a sulfur drug for the active ingredient? I'm so sorry I'm not much help.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think your bird probably has a sinus infection and that you'll need to cut it out. Check the cleft in the roof of it's mouth for pus:

This is normal
    [​IMG]

This one has pus
    [​IMG]

Please post more pictures.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    X2. Try a different antibiotic, injectable if possible.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

FWIW, I have tried treating sinus infections with Baytril, but it won't do any good if you don't get the pus out, just like bumble foot .

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Lately I've been using Penicillin injectable for everything and it works. I remember I had pneumonia when I was a kid and I was on Pen for 10 days. Kills a wide number of things.

What's Baytril for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by