Polish Genetics and Colours

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by braden rowland, Oct 14, 2013.

1. braden rowland

braden rowland Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2012
    Bundaberg QLD Australia
    Hi every One

Im am a Breeder of Polish.

In one of my cases I have a Standard Size Rooster, and A Bantam sized hen together.

The Hen ( Bantam ) Is a Silver Laced Colour. And my aim is to try and breed Standard sized Silver Laced polish.

AS THEY ARE RARE IN AUSTRALIA [​IMG]

If i put a Standard Size Polish rooster over my Silver Laced bantam hen

Will there be any chance that the Chickens may turn out to be a Standard sized Silver laced Polish ?

Thanks

Looking foward from hearing from you !

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    belive its like anything else, 50/50

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    What variety (color) is the male? Silver lacing is a polygenetic trait and requires a regimented breeding plan to produce the variety. How you go about the plan, depends upon the variety of the male. Post a picture of the male and female you want to cross.

After the first cross the offspring will vary in between the size of the bantam and the male; usually toward the size of the male. It is best if you artificially inseminate the bantam. It may be physically impossible for the male to inseminate the female if she is too small.

Tim

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. braden rowland

Jun 6, 2012
    Bundaberg QLD Australia
    Hi

The Male is A Standard sized Polish rooster. He has mounted her several times, so yes it can be done.

So will it be 50/50 % Chance

Thanks

5. braden rowland

Jun 6, 2012
    Bundaberg QLD Australia
    Sorry Forgot to Mention

The Male is the one Pictured under my Name

White Crested blue/ Buff mix colour

I Also have a White Crested Black Rooster, would it be better to put him over her then the Mixed coloured one ?

Thanks

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    what beautiful color. i would want more of him!

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Mounting her and placing the sperm into her cloaca is two different things. He has to be able to place the sperm inside her.

Cross her with the black crested white. Pick the two largest offspring and cross them. Then pick the best looking birds from the second cross and cross them. You can not back cross to the female because you will produce smaller offspring. Keep picking out the largest birds that resemble silver lacing and cross them until you get what you want.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by