Polish getting pecked badly!!!!!! Help please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ZepChick, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    We have 21 chickens and two are Polish hens. They cannot live without each other. We have tried an anti-pick but it seems that the other chickens like the taste... What should we do?? PS- we have also tried bringing them inside but the smell is so bad to a member of our family that is pregnant. Please help!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    it is not recommended to keep Polish with other chickens because they are so different and will get pecked, also its difficult for them to see and its possible they will not get enough to eat. Its better to keep them in a coop and run with their breed only! Good Luck.....

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

You could cut off their head feathers, but then it would be one strange looking polish...my one silkie is going throught the same thing!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had the same problem when I had a polish roo and a trio of hens. They get picked and pecked on so badly my one hen was completely bald. The only answer is to give them their own coop away from the others.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I have two house, one for standards and one for banatams. I have mostly Silkies in the bantam house and when I got one Polish as a freeby from a breeder, I raised her with Silkie chicks and she lives with them even though she is standard size. Her head feathers are big and beautiful, but as antiquebuff said, it is hard for a polish to see, but at least she is taller than everyone else and can look down and see them.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Unless you are showing her in an exhibit you should trim back from her eyes her poof head feather so she can see. They are far less flighty and spazzy when they can actually see. It will not hurt her to have a bit of a hair cut. trim up her bangs and let that girl see the world she lives in.

7. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    hmmm.. I am wondering if I am going to run into the same problem...

I have 16 chickens and 5 of them are polish.. so far they are all living together happy.. they are 6 weeks and the polish all have their fluffy heads and such but everyone just gets along great.

I have one polish that doesnt pay attention to anything, not even me just keeps her head down and pecks the ground always.. then I have the other 4 that go and run with the pack..

I put food down for them this morning and it was a feeding frenzy the other 4 were jumping right in with all the girls..

Now to the OP did you raise them all together from chicks?

8. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    The only way I was able to do my polish project was to keep them by themselves - Polish Town

Thye lived well socially with the Silkies but still had problems with pecking not aggressive pecking but
    they Silkies would pull out feathers --

9. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    MissPrissy -

So ho much to trim? Is it possible to cut them too short?

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just use your own judgement and carefully trim away the fluff from around her eyes so she can see. I can't see your chickens but you will know. Go slow and take away a little at a time. She'll be able to see for a change and will most likely run around like crazy for a while discovering everything around her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by