Polish getting pecked!! Help her!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KarenP, Oct 17, 2011.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    My polish got pecked today and whoever pecked her drew blood. I know it's not the 2 who live in her coop with her. I think it happened when they were freeranging last night. I will not let her out unless she is with me anymore. My question is, has anyone ever successfully tied their head feathers back with an elastic??? If so, how did you get it to stay in place?

Karen

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I understand your concern with polish, they are easily picked on by other birds.
    Ive not heard of many having success with top knots.
    I cut my polishes crest so he can see better which means hes more likely to see and get away.
    I know that if you put blue food dye where she was pecked (i'm assuming her crest?), this should stop them from making it worse.
    They peck more and more and can become cannibalistic as soon as they see blood/red.
    Some polish can survive in a mixed flock and some can't.
    Its important that they have a place to hide or get away from the other chickens.

I'm sorry to hear your polish is getting pecked.
    They are such sweet chickens its such a shame :[.

3. akchick74

akchick74 New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    Quote:Did you find a way to help your polish chicken? I'm having the same problem. Mixed flock and the polish is getting pecked. I'm considering making him a little hat. Let me know if you find an answer, please. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I keep my one and only polish in with my silkies and they don`t pick on her cause they have top knots to[​IMG] This is Dart and I have heard of peaple tieing up the top knot with elastics don`tknowif it works,we had to cut around her face she was running into thinhs

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by