Polish hat

Isabella_animale

Songster
Sep 3, 2020
So I have a almost 1 year old Polish hen who always has her hat picked off. She used to live with 2 others (a sebright bantam and full size
chochin). Anyway a few months ago the bantam would not stop picking off her hat so I rehomed the bantam. Now she just lives with her chochin sister which she was raised with since born. Well after I rehomed the bantam, her hat never had a chance to grow back because the chochin kept picking off the sprouts (she never did this before the I introduced tge bantam). Then the chochin got broody for a while (couldn't hatch chicks as I don't have a rooster) and while she was broody my Polish's hat (almost) grew back fully. Then recently I had to break my chochins broodinsss because I know it's bad to have Then broody too long. Well I just broke her broodiness a couple weeks ago and her hat is gone again😔 She doesn't seem to mind but I know it's not good. The thing is, if I separate they go CRAZY because they live eachother. So I know this might sound silly but my question is there some sort of hat I can make hero protect her head? I've tried blu cote and it still got picked it off.

I had the same issue with the 2 polish hens who grew up with my other chickens. They would start pecking at one at a time, and if I did not spray BluKote on the head every other day, the whole top would be bald within 2 days. You might try applying plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day, while keeping the one separated inna wire dog crate during treatment. The sticky ointment may taste bad and help to prevent pecking. Make sure they are getting enough protein in their diets, since some chickens peck out of boredom, while some are not getting @ least 16-20 per cent of protein.

I had the same issue with the 2 polish hens who grew up with my other chickens. They would start pecking at one at a time, and if I did not spray BluKote on the head every other day, the whole top would be bald within 2 days. You might try applying plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day, while keeping the one separated inna wire dog crate during treatment. The sticky ointment may taste bad and help to prevent pecking. Make sure they are getting enough protein in their diets, since some chickens peck out of boredom, while some are not getting @ least 16-20 per cent of protein.

Are you sure the antibiotic ointment won't hurt the other one of she gets a bit in her mouth? I just don't want anyone getting sick. Also would this one work?
20201126_125808.jpg
20201126_125820.jpg
20201126_125834.jpg

So I have a almost 1 year old Polish hen who always has her hat picked off. She used to live with 2 others (a sebright bantam and full size
chochin). Anyway a few months ago the bantam would not stop picking off her hat so I rehomed the bantam. Now she just lives with her chochin sister which she was raised with since born. Well after I rehomed the bantam, her hat never had a chance to grow back because the chochin kept picking off the sprouts (she never did this before the I introduced tge bantam). Then the chochin got broody for a while (couldn't hatch chicks as I don't have a rooster) and while she was broody my Polish's hat (almost) grew back fully. Then recently I had to break my chochins broodinsss because I know it's bad to have Then broody too long. Well I just broke her broodiness a couple weeks ago and her hat is gone again😔 She doesn't seem to mind but I know it's not good. The thing is, if I separate they go CRAZY because they live eachother. So I know this might sound silly but my question is there some sort of hat I can make hero protect her head? I've tried blu cote and it still got picked it off.
You can use pine tar and pick no more spray. We've used both with success.

Back
Top Bottom