Polish hatching WAAAAYYY early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkie Sue, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Hi Guys,
    this is probably my 6th hatch using an incubator so i thought i had it all figgered out...... [​IMG]

Well, i set my eggs on July 12th and i wrote on the calendar that lockdown was Saturday the 30th.
    when i got up this morning i guess i was confused and thought lockdown was today, so i shut off the turner and took out the dividers, bumped up humidity to 65 and closed the vent a bit...
    when i got home from work to check the humidity i noticed 2 pips. i also remembered that lockdown wasn't supposed to be til tomorrow..... [​IMG]
    Well, 1 just hatched and another is zipping. they are not even due til Tuesday.
    i've had them a day early before but never 4 days.... [​IMG]
    Anyone else had this happen????

2. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Chillin' With My Peeps

Not quite 4 days for me, but my current batch of Buttercups & Silkies started pipping on day 19, most of them hatched on day 20, and only 2 have hatched this morning which was day 21. None more have pipped although I have 12 eggs left. I'm hoping to get a few more that hatch. Good luck on yours [​IMG]

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    My polish always start on day 19 done by day 20.

4. cwalsh2

cwalsh2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Hermosa South Dakota
    A little high on the temp can cause them to hatch early and a little low can cause a late hatch. A friend once had a guinea hen make a nest outdoors over a deep hole that had over 30 eggs in it. She could no way keep that many eggs warm. She got off the nest with 13. I picked up the leftover eggs and put them in my incubator.Another one or two hatched every day for a week. I did the same thing with a duck that was setting on to many eggs. She got off the nest with 11. By the time the incubator quit hatching ducklings she had 19. Good luck Cal

5. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I had some Polish, Maran and BLRW eggs that were started the same day. I had 2 Polish hatch at day 18. I went to turn them one last time and noticed Pips. I was freaking out because it was early, but they were fine. My BLRW hatched next and my Marans were the last.

6. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Thankyou for your stories and advice..
    1 hatched last night at 11:00 pm on day 17 and 1 hatched overnight. those 2 seem to be doing great and are in the brooder. This morning i have 2 more pips.
    i started out with 12.
    I am excited about these little guys because they are from hens I acquired from New York. they are Joel Hennings. I bred them with my roo who is also a Continental Champion.
    I have to go to work now but I will post pics once they alll hatch.
    Have a great Day !! [​IMG]

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Just had a couple of Brahmas hatch under a broody on day 19....so it can happen naturally, too. The boys have always thought this Dark Brahma hen is hot stuff....maybe they were right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by