polish have stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clairemac9, May 12, 2010.

1. clairemac9

clairemac9 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    my 2 polish bantams have just stopped laying they seem in good health eating drinking any ideas

2. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    They could be getting ready to molt? [​IMG]

3. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine stopped laying and I just discovered lice. However, my Polish (3) dont lay very regular anyway. In fact, I think I have one that is a year old and she has never laid an egg.

4. clairemac9

May 9, 2010
    many thanks to you both they were laying quite well up untill 2 weeks ago its got me baffled

5. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Thats how mine have been about two weeks ago they started not laying but I think its been the weather here [​IMG]

6. minifarmgurl1

minifarmgurl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    indiana
    I live in Indiana and my golden comets have all the sudden stopped laying..i have seen a few more posts like ours saying hens have stopped laying...WTH?? these hens need to get it together!

7. clairemac9

May 9, 2010
    its a long way for me ha ha im in uk

8. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Gosh, I'm in Indiana too and I can't imagine the weather we've been having would be a problem ('course, wait 10 minutes and it'll change, LOL)

Are you sure they aren't hiding them somewhere? Of all my hens, my polish is the one most likely to be laying eggs in a different place-- always has been! Don't know if she needs to feel special and find her own spot, or if she just doesn't want her eggs mixing with those "regular" gals, or what. But I'd do some searching, or watching where those 2 go and see if you can find their secret hiding place.

Just a few days ago, DH moved a bale of straw, covered with a big trash bag, into the coop to store. It's up on end, and a little bit of straw is visible through where we tied the bag together to try to close it up. Yep! That's where I found a polish egg the next day! Now I am missing eggs from her for a couple days and have a bad feeling they slid off her little perch on top of the bag . . . . slidind down inside the bag, UGH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by