Polish Head Bloody and Attacked..... AHHH!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken boy sam, Nov 16, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    We just introduced two new little bantams into the flock (they are the two smallest of all of them) but somehow they messed up the pecking order leaving my standard sized white polish attacked!!! She was very bloody on the head, so I took her out once I got home from school.... she was still being her normal self, maybe just a little down.... I went into the house and got paper towels, a bowl of warm water, a towel, and some blu-kote. I wrapped her up in a towel, dipped the paper towel in warm water, and wiped the blood off of her head. Then I got some blu-kote and put that on. She's in her own little cage with some water, cracked corn, and layer pellets. Anything else I could do for her?

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Sounds like you have the situation under control. The only thing I would do is put Neosporin on the wound and then keep her inside while she heals.

D

3. melissa41927

melissa41927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    northeast corner al
    keep her away from the other birds, they will continue to peck at it. wash the area very well, dry it, and then slather on triple antibiotic ointment with no pain reliever added. keep her away from the other birds until the place has healed or has been covered so that it is not visible. continue to watch when reintegrating back into the flock. sometimes the attackers will remember and do it again.

4. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    So I can't put her back in the coop later on tonight? If not I can move her to a bigger cage for then next few days or so.... but the wound's about a dime or nickel in size. I always thought the blu-kote would stop that.... how do I get the neosporin on with the blu-kote on?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Blukote will suffice. You don't need to use both. Blukote should also conceal the wound so that the others don't continue to pick at it. Good luck.

6. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Thank you everyone! She's settled in in her little cage and she will be let into the main coop tomorrow afternoon.... she's still quite happy, and when i open up the cage, she comes and scratches around on the floor....

7. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    UPDATE: She's fully recovered and the purple from the blukote is almost gone..... LOL

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Glad to hear it. Have you re-introduced her to the flock?

9. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Yep, and she was fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by