Polish Heads

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dinos_rock, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have three little polish chicks that are about one or two months old. Two have normal heads and the other one has a huge, lump head. It is weird looking (kinda funny...). Is this normal? I don't think I've heard of this before. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have a polish chick like this?

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Are you referring to a vaulted skull? These are typically seen in polish. Nothing to worry about, this generally means the bird will have a larger, fuller crest.

You can see the vault on this chick:

[​IMG]

I also have some pics of 2 week old chicks with vaults, if you're interested in seeing them [​IMG]

3. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh, thanks. Sure, I'd like to see more pics.[​IMG]

4. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    [​IMG] me too!

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    thats one one cute white crested black polish.

6. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I was thinking the same thing, that it was just the vaulted skull. It really is a funny looking thing if you happen to ever see one without featers--it's a weird looking knob on top of their head!

I have some pictures if they might help. Here are couple of chicks, a couple of days old:
    [​IMG]

And here are the same chicks, maybe 3 -4 weeks old--these were the only pics I could find of birds that were close to the age you said yours were.
    [​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Here are some pics of my 2 week olds [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    LilPeeps - you say those babies are 2 weeks? I bought 6 polish this week at the feed store, 3 buff laced and 3 silver laced, and the guy told me they were 4 weeks old. When I came home and compared how they're feathering out to the pictures of my last chicks (not polish) I guessed they were closer to 3 weeks. But your babies have WAY more crests than mine have so far. Are mine younger than he said, or are your just feathering out faster?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    All those chicks are so cute! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

10. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Your chicks probably are about 3-4 weeks old (though my guess would be closer to 3). The crests of the White Crested Black variety of Polish usually look different than most other varieties. The variety is the most common and so more breeders have been selectively working on different traits for a long time--crests being one of those traits--and so the WCBs have larger, fuller, and "poof-ier" crests than most other types. Your buff and silver laced will have a more upright and not as large "do" as a WCB.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by