Polish help :( Update

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseyjess, Oct 19, 2009.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Ok so I have aquired a new chicken. It showed up yesterday and we caught it. I thought last night it was a Roo as it seemed to have nubs as it were growing spurs. During the day I look and we gave it a bath lol.(I put it in a cat carrier until we could get a better look at things in the morning so she kinda had poo on her) I think Hen... It was pretty calm didnt crow and seems to have a two finger space in its back end to pass the eggs. I am wondering if it is a Polish tho it seems to have slight leg feathering.... Also any guesses on age or anything you think about it? We gave it a bath put in away from everyone. It has mites ( I didnt think it did untill I got in good light today)so going to get more mite stuff I didnt know I was out of dust. I am going to give it the egg yoke/yogurt/oatmeal meals someone suggested in Emergencys section. I am also going to add the Wazine to its water, and even tho it appears full grown to me I am going to give it the chicks Flock Raiser for now.. Did I miss anything and what do you think?? Also I have a picture of my one little Polish that has made it to almost 6 weeks old now. I am going to say roo only cause it seems like of the 22 chicks we have left 15 are roos lol. If my little one is a he and this Stray is a she and is made healthy and isnt old can these to be bred later on?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOL This is one after it got its bath..
    [​IMG]

Here is my baby I think it is soooooooooo cute I want 100 more :X

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It's def a Rooster. It has saddle feathers and the Spiky Crest. Not sure on the baby just yet.

3. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:HA HA go figure AS IF I didnt have enough Roos I get a stray and it may turn out to be a Roo... The only thing that has me off is the space between the bones....

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Most definitely a roo! if he has some leg feathering, which is not a polish trait, he'd be a cross, or a different breed (Don't know what colors Sultans come in - they have feathered legs). Good for you taking him in, and helping him out!! Just keep him separated for at least 30 days [​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yup definitely a roo. Can't tell on the little silver laced yet and I wouldn't dare guess for another month or so.

6. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I get a stray and it has to be a ROO.. Now that I got that out, I need another Roo like a hole in my head LOL!! It seems so friendly and not crazy if it stays that way I guess I have another Roo...

7. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    Definatly a Roo. I have a Buff laced Polish roo that looks exactly like yours. My Polish rooster is a big meanie! LOL. I hope your's is much nicer than mine! [​IMG]

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Without a doubt a rooster, as others have said. But leg feathering doesn't necessarily mean he's a mutt. I have a pure bred SL pullet who has partial leg feathering. Has to do with unfavorable genes. Sometimes, birds just get nubs. Other times, they bare more feathering.

He looks like he's been through heck and back by the way his tail is so broken. [​IMG] And his color is a badly-bred Buff Laced. Otherwise, he looks like he's been eating and his crest seems decently full from the full body pics. [​IMG] He's very lucky he had you to take him in.

Agreed, chickie is too young to tell for sure.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Here is a picture of my Polish buff laced rooster :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does he look like yours?
    Here is the female:
    [​IMG]

10. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:WAHHHHHH ROOO IT IS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. Go figure I am going to be the Rooster lady here soon!!!!!! I also think your buff laced is so pretty guess this guy wont ever look like that but he is a friendly stray. Now lets just see if he stays that way after he is in good health???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by