Polish help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AwlOrganikLizz, Jul 24, 2014.

1. AwlOrganikLizz

AwlOrganikLizz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Hello! This is my first post here. This morning as I was refilling the chicken's water fount, I heard a distinct "er-ah-eeeeeeeerrrrrr" come from the coop, twice. I'm a first-timer when it comes to chickens, we're raising them as pets and for eggs. But now that there's a confirmed rooster in there, I know that it has to be one of my polish. The rest are hens, we got the polish straight run. The oldest are about two months, youngest about a month, maybe month and a half. Anyway! By the time I made it to the door, whoever did it was done, and they both looked innocent. I've been back and fourth on which one is male, which one is female, both male, both female, I don't know! So I was wondering if you all could give me tips? Thank you so much in advance.

If it helps, I spend a lot of time with them! The silver laced (Disco) used to be the brat of the brooder. Now that Disco moved into the coop, he/she always comes up to get attention and doesn't question his/her place in pecking order. I used to think Disco stood very upright, but now that he/she is older, always walks pretty flat like the other hens. The ends of the tail feathers are pointy instead of round, the the feathers toward the bottom of the tail seem to be curling upright. But there's no red waddle or comb in sight. The white crested black (Funk), however, is still friendly to me. But even though is part of the younger group, puffs his/her chest up to the older girls and seems to be very assertive despite his/her size. The tail looks very hen-like though. I would compare it to my white leghorns tail, very long and upright, but the feathers are round on the end. I've done a lot of research on chickens, but I'm still pretty amateur! All the signs I see are contradicting. When their crests started filling out, Funks came in even and round. Disco's was very splotchy. But now that Disco's fro has filled out a bit, it looks very round and fluffy, not stringy like I've seen in pictures of polish roosters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These bottoms pictures were taken today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I think the white crested black polish is the roo. But if you could post pics of their wattles and combs then that might help.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Based on the pictures, my guess would also be the White-Crested Black, just because of the seemingly larger wattles.[​IMG]
    Here's a picture of one that I had a while back. He is no longer with us currently. If I remember right, he started crowing pretty early too.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Beautiful birds!

5. AwlOrganikLizz

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks for the quick replies! Even when I feel through Discos feathers, I can't seem to find a comb anywhere. Hahaha. All that is there is a beak, I'm not sure there's even eyes there anymore [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

7. AwlOrganikLizz

Jul 22, 2014
    Thank you!