Polish hen actually hatched chicks HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkie Sue, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    I have a Standard WC black Polish hen who has been sitting on eggs. They are not known for their motherlyness/

Well today 3 of them hatched.
    2 of the chicks were behind the doghouse that they were born in which i thought was strange, do you think they were chased out by the hen? and i found another inside the house, on his back, about half a foot away from the hen and i thought he was dead.
    i picked him up and he has almost all the skin on his back is raw ( not bleeding but all the fuzz is gone)
    i put him in my bra and decided to put the 2 others back under the hen. i watched for a while and all seemed good, so i left them; it was getting dark so i figure they should be okay til morning/
    i put the half dead guy in the brooder and put polysporin and a piece of gauze on his back. he seemed to be getting a little livelier just before i came in to write this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do you think i should do?
    i don't want to take the chicks away from the hen if i don't have to but i don't want her to kill them all either.
    anyone been in this situation???

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    If you are going to keep one in the brooder anyway, I'd put the other two with her. Doesn't sound like she is doing a great job, and you are right, they aren't known for their motherliness! Good luck.

3. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i was kinda thinking that,,,,, but i will leave it for tonite, i am going out in a minute to check the little one in the brooder. its sad that he is alone but the others might pick at his back anyway.
    i will make my decision in the morning
    keep you posted.
    thankyou

4. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:I know overall it's not but..

...that's funny! [​IMG]

5. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    update....
    the little half dead guy with the bald back was all dead this morning. [​IMG]
    i came home at lunch time and the hen was out of the doghouse with 5 babies under her.(going to get pics) and another one was out of the enclosure [​IMG] on its back but did not have a bald back. he is now in the brooder and i left the others with the hen. she seems to be good with them so far... [​IMG]
    BRB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by