Polish hen being picked on ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachcoopgirls, Sep 25, 2016.

1. beachcoopgirls

beachcoopgirls Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    We got 4 chickens this summer so I'm still figuring out what is "normal". Originally I thought our polish hen Pineapple [​IMG] , was just molting because of her head feathers looking like they are growing out. After reading some other threads others have mentioned possibility of other chickens pulling out feathers. I've never seen any of the other chickens pick on her but it is clear that she's the odd man out [​IMG]
    I've also never seen any blood but the area has been very red/tender looking. [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It does look like her feathers are growing in. It's possible from a molt, you didn't mention her age.

When new feathers grow in they have a sheath surrounding them, you can see them at the base of the feathers. Chickens will usually preening them off at the proper time. Crested birds can't preening their heads so often they have to wait until the sheath breaks down enough to fall off. Sometimes you need to help remove it by using your fingernails to crush them and gently work them off, but it's important not to do it too soon. It can attract other hens so certainly keep an eye on it for any signs of pecking.

I don't see any obvious signs of pecking in your pictures. She may be okay in your smaller flock and never get picked on. Make sure your birds have lots of room and stuff to do. Boredom will often lead to excessive pecking.

It's usually best to not have only a single crested bird but it can work most times. If ever you wish to add more make sure there are a couple of them.

You can do some trimming on the crests so your hen can see better which can help make them less hysterical, but a polish chicken will always act a bit odder than most breeds.

3. beachcoopgirls

beachcoopgirls Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    Thank you so much for the information! We got them in June and she was about 8 weeks old. She definetly has her own personality but she's too funny, I love her!
    We plan on adding to the flock next summer so I will keep in mind getting another Polish!

Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by