Polish hen has plucked my Polish roo down to the down OVERNIGHT. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jemezhens, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jemezhens

Jemezhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    Yesterday morning I was agast to find that my polish roo, Brian had been denuded. Crest, neck, tail feathers, back; almost all of him plucked right down to the down! I knew nothing had attcked him and it wasn't the other roo in the flock (my flock is mixed) so after watching for 12 hours or so, we now know That it's the polish hen, Lois!!! Why on God's green earth did she do this? What do I do now? Please help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are they? Is he old enough to be molting? What are they eating? Are they overcrowded at all? Do they get outside to roam? Sometimes chickens will eat feathers if they are not getting enough protein. Is the hen or the rooster separated now?

3. Jemezhens

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    They will be a year next month but this is definatly not molting. 1. we are still freezing at night (our moults happen at the end of summer) and 2. We've watched Lois (the female polish) pick at him (the roo polish) and eat the feathers!! This afternoon we watched watched her start to pick at our oldest hen around her hackles.
    They have a spacious pen and hen house and free range almost every day. I quardened off a section of the run (with its own "hutch") for her but they are roaming right now. I am concerned about her being alone at night. I don't want to make it worse and I worry that she will get too cold at night.

4. Jemezhens

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    Now that I look closer, My salmon faverole hen's beard in considerabley smaller. :( do you think it could be somthing as simple as a lack of protein for Lois? Or is this a behavior that I won't be able to to fix ( like canabalism?)

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What are you feeding them? I have had salmon faverolles and polish, and both breeds in my flock were lower in pecking order, so tended to get feather picked some. I would isolate any bullies for a few days to a week away from the others, so this doesn't become a habit that others pick up. Try some flock blocks or let them peck at some greens thrown around.

6. Jemezhens

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    I feed them scratch, laying pellets and various veggie scraps, every few weeks I throw out some oystershell. Thanks for your advice! What is a flock block?

7. The Phantom

The Phantom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Your situation sounds like this.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe this lotion will help. "Pick no more" lotion is what it is called.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The problem may lie in the protein level they are getting. Laying pellets have just the right amount of protein at 16%, so by feeding them scratch, you are reducing that. Scratch has half that, and scraps can vary depending on what you are giving that day. You may want to stop th scratch, or start feeding Flock Raiser 20% feed, and put out oyster shell every day, since FR has much less calcium. Flock blocks are found at feed stores like Tractor Supply, and are large solid blocks to peck at for boredom. You can try some bad tasting ointments or creams such as PickNoMore or Nustock as the previous poster recommended temporarily, but I would try to remedy the problem.

9. Jemezhens

Aug 4, 2015
    Jemez Springs, NM
    Thank You! I totally see what you're saying! I have never experiencenced this before but as with all things in my life....never say never.... Thanks again! Happy Easter.

10. The Phantom

The Phantom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I don't know if this message was for me but
    Happy Easter! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by