Polish hen head drooping.....what is wrong with her....how do I treat?

valerieb

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Richwoods, Missouri
I have a Polish hen and she seemed fine last night. Came home from church today and she was on the ground with her head down. She seems to be having trouble holding her head up. She is 1 1/2 years old. Her poop was a little watery and it was yellowish brown...doesn't look too bad. I have her some electrolytes in water through a syringe. What else do I need to do? What is wrong with her? Any ideas?

Quote:
Is she housed with other chickens beside polish? If you check the second sticky thread at the top of the emergencies it will give you a list of things that you can tell us about that might help someone see a familiar illness to help you get started on her care. But I would get her separated (if you haven't already) and make sure she is somewhere draft free and can stay warm enough without exerting extra energy.

If you can provide any/all info as suggested above (include info on egg laying habits and last known egg, diet, etc...everything you can think of that could provide clues), this will help get you the best advice.

I will add that my hen Ellie got like this last September (2008) and I rushed her to the vet. In her case blood work showed results consistent with inflammation and/or infection of unknown origin. She was put on meds for both and recovered beautifully. I don't think she would have without that speedy intervention. Have no idea what ails your hen but she may need speedy medical intervention - on the ground with head down is not good.

As mentioned above, put her somewhere warm and dry, no drafts, very comfy, stress free, food and water readily accessible, while this is being sorted out.

JJ

Just wanted to let you know that she is fine now
smile.png
. I was positive I was going to come down the next morning and she would be dead....she was that bad. I treated her with meds and force fed her some yogurt and some water with electrolytes and she improved little by little. I think she might have had botulism, not sure though. Anyway....I am sooooooooo happy she is ok!!!!

Back
Top Bottom