Polish hen laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alicatt, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Alicatt

Alicatt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    Read mixed reviews on this, is she a layer, or ornamental? She is laying better than the Easter eggers. I get an egg every other day from her, and they are almost the same size as the larger chickens, just more narrow. I have 4 Easter eggers, and have never gotten two green eggs in same day. Just sayin'. My chickens are 9 months old. BA, BO, and LB laid nearly every day through their first winter. What are your best layers in a mixed flock? How do your polish hens fare?

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have the exact opposite! My eggers lay nearly every day no matter what. All winter long I can count on them. My red sex links lay well, the wyandottes do good, then my fussy Marans. My Polish, not so much. I keep them for their beauty and silly personalities.

3. Alicatt

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    I know, mine's such a nut. Good, I am looking forward to lots of green eggs, I hope mine are just slow to get going..!!

4. Alicatt

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    Update! Have since gotten three green eggs on the same day. Once they started, they just keep coming.

5. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Congrats!!!

6. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    My polish lays just as much if not more than my leghorn! The leghorns are bigger but sometimes she takes a day off, but my polish has laid everyday since she started laying (about three weeks ago)

7. mrchicks

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm still waiting for polish eggs. Their silkie hatchmates have been laying for about a month. When my gals finally start laying, I'll be dancing in the coop. [​IMG]

8. Alicatt

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    Mine was probably nine months old when she started, had been getting eggs from the orpingtons and black austrolorpes for three or four months, I wasn't counting on her to be a great contributor, but she is pretty consistently laying every other day. My ee's took a long time too, must have gotten them too late last spring, but now with the longer days they are all picking up the pace. Patience is easier in advice than it is in practice, but they are chickens, So eggs are inevitable. Right?

9. Alicatt

Sep 10, 2013
    catskills, New York
    Wow desertchickens! You just never know. Do you eat them? That would be a good one to keep some babies from.

10. DesertChickens1

DesertChickens1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Marana, Arizona
    your darn right I eat them! And boy are they goooooood haha. I'll be hatching some eggs from her and a couple other hens for Easter, hoping they're as good as moma!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by