1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish Hen, likely a rooster? You tell me...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Entiendo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Entiendo

Entiendo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    I bought this chicken as an older PULLET, I have my doubts. Not crowing, not that I've hear and I'm told the way the Polish chickens are even hens can have longer feathers. About 4 1/2 months, maybe a bit older. What do you all think? It's a hatchery bird I'm pretty sure. Sweet as can be though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks like a rooster there. The crest feathers are longer and more pointed like you would normally see in a rooster and it looks like he's developing saddle feathers there.

3. Entiendo

Apr 21, 2013
    that is what I am thinking, I had to drive 2 hours to get this "hen". Ug...of course I can get a new one but I can't just introduce 1 hen to my flock.

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

The crested breeds can be tricky for a while. I myself recently got two more polish girls and a few weeks later I now have 1 more rooster to re-home.

5. Entiendo

Apr 21, 2013
    Yeah, I won't do that again, adding chickens to the flock is stressful for me and for them. Now I'm going to worry about what's going to happen to the darn rooster when I return him.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a rooster to me, based off of pointy crest feathers and sickle feathers in the tail.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rooster.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by