Polish hen or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yorkshire Coop, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi I am new to backyard chickens so please bear with me. I have polish and having trouble sexing them. Three are crowing which has made it easier but the other five not so sure. Two are also frizzle hope the pics upload and tips would be very much appreciated.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Yorkshire Coop. First of all, I have to say [​IMG]

Wow, those chooks have crazy crests with the frizzling!

I think all I see are girls (except for maybe the back of a boy in the upper right corner of one picture..) The Polish girls have extra pouffy crests whereas the boys are smaller and more spiked. Trying to translate that with the fizzling, I am still seeing very pouffy crests but the twisted feather makes the pouff go forward instead of back, The non-frizzled also looks like a girls to me.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Thanks for the tips that is what I thought the ones crowing seem to have more red on the wattle area too the silver laced frizzle in one of the pics is a cockerel he is crowing. The two next to him are the ones I think are girls. I also have a self blue frizzle cockerel ( poppet) his crest is very round and flops forward very confusing with the frizzle I have to say!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by