Polish hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlezeekers, Jul 6, 2016.

1. littlezeekers

littlezeekers New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    My boyfriend brought home some chickens from a feed store that sexes their chickens and guarantees they're all hens, however the polish hen we've raised seems to be showing signs that it might be a male. From the beginning she showed signs of personality, more so like a momma hen or queen. After the second month of having her we've realized she's become more aggressive. When she notices people or even my dog she'll sometimes get into a stalking posture where she's about to pounce or peck or she'll run and jump a little. She pecks at people and my dog sometimes but not always, mostly when we're being active around her. Any ideas?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think that's a female. I don't see any physical features that say rooster. The crest still seems very round and feminine, and from what I can see I don't see any male feathers. But I could be wrong. I don't personally own any polish, but I've had some mottled houdans, and sexing them is fairly similar. The males will have crests with 'streamers' and the hens' crests will not have those, and will look much more rounded. The males will also get male feathers in. The hackle and saddle feathers will start to come in very thin, shiny, and semi-translucent.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Pullet

4. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by