Polish Hen shot in head with BB gun

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hippichick, Nov 20, 2008.

1. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Well, the neighbor's kid finally did it. He shot one of my chickens. My bantam Polish hen, shot in her head. I cleaned her up and found the wound. I'm sure the BB is still in her head. I didn't want to dig around in there too much. I put antibiotic ointment and gave her a shot of Tylan 50. She is in a cage, separate from the rest of the flock. Is there anything else I should do? Does anyone know if she can survive with a BB in her head?

Paula

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes a chicken can survive from a bb shot. Their is a guy on here that has a blind room(same thing happend got shot) but I can't remember. I hope she gets better.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    OMG I would kill the kid... and I'm a Quaker! [​IMG]

I have no idea what to do, but I really feel for you and your hen.

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I know what I'd do! I hope she gets better!

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Awwwww...poor girl!!! And that kid!! [​IMG] You have to be LIVID!!! Did you contact the parents?!?!?! I'd be watching my chickens like a hawk now!!!

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    there is only one thing to do, make that kid come over and do community service by helping to care for that hen and if he has a problem with that tell his mother your going to bring him to court
    So sorry bout your girl I hope she'll be ok, I should have said that first but I was so furious when I read what that little delinquent did.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i hope you called the police..because that is animal cruelty...i hope you press charges on him!..lucky it wasnt me...i'd be the one in jail now...God, i wish i knew how to help you...[​IMG]..someone will come along soon to help...best wishes

8. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG! Poor girl...I expected you to say your ROOSTER was shot! What in the heck is the point of shooting the hen....oh, forgot...idiots make no sense!

I'd contact the parents....unless you feel they will be volital....or call the police and have an officer deal with it. This kid and his parents need a lesson in respecting other's property. If the parents wouldn't cooperate, I'd press charges...there is NO sense in this!!!

Poor girl...saying prayers for a speedy recovery....

&*%$ KID! [​IMG]

9. Migizi

Migizi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    your poor chicken I am only 11 years old and it makes me angry how another kid could do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that is ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1[​IMG][​IMG]

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    call the police and report it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by