Polish hen with something wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmaldet, Jan 24, 2017.

1. dmaldet

dmaldet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    I don't even know how to describe what exactly is going on. First off let me tell you that I did find what I believe was lice. Have been treating her and seems to be all but gone. Then I notice two days ago that she is walking strange and also she is what I would say holding up her back end kinda with feathers spread out. Any suggestions?

I am learning as I go so please any ideas are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Are you sure she is not egg bound? Check her vent, if she is, a warmth with Epsom salt is recommended to help her lay the egg. Very dangerous if she is egg bound and doesn't get help.

3. Little Fuzzy

Jan 16, 2016
    That typo was supposed to be a warm bath.

4. dmaldet

Apr 21, 2016
    I'm new to chickens and none of mine have laid yet. I will get her out first thing in the morning and try the bath. I don't have Epsom salt. Is there anything else I cld use? Otherwise I will have to run the store first.

5. dmaldet

Apr 21, 2016
    Thank you so much for your suggestion.

6. Little Fuzzy

Jan 16, 2016
    Well how old are they if they are not laying? Maybe she is getting ready to lay? You could let her sit on a heating pad.

7. Little Fuzzy

Jan 16, 2016
    If you just use warm water if you think she might be egg bound.

8. dmaldet

Apr 21, 2016
    Sassy came to us in August and I would guess she was about a month old or so. They are all mixed in age but most hatched in and around June 2016.

I do not give them light in the coop other than natural light from the windows. and thought that was why nobody is laying. We have two Easter eggers, one mutt, and the two polish hens.

9. dmaldet

Apr 21, 2016
    And yes I do have a heating pad. I did put one of those pad heaters in a small quarentee area but put in on a side wall because it said to not use around bedding.

10. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Can you take a pic of her odd walking stance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by