Polish in Cold weather

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mmajw, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    How do your polish do in cold weather??
    Do you do anything special that you wouldn't do for your standard breed?
    How do you keep their crest trimmed?
    Do they need more warmth then a standard breed?

My daughter recently got 3 Polish and I have never had this breed before. I am nervous what prep I need to do before our Cold Maine Winters hit. It will be here before we know it.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    We don't have the brutal cold you do, but we had several below freezing nights and my polish just huddled up with the rest of the crew and did fine. I did block the windows to keep the cold air out but they never once acted like they were suffering or uncomfortable.

I trim the area around their eyes. I have someone hold them steady while I do it so they can see better, I only have to do it once a year or until they replace those trimmed feathers.

I love my Polish, they are comical and once you spend time with them they become pretty social. I taught them to love me with meal worms and corn on the cob.

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    the parents have their own pen with access to the outside all yr round, we block the windows.. the only thing i do notice is if their heads get wet it freezes and looks like bad hair days for a bit. i used a new waterer that she couldnt get her whole head in and she did better, but if she goes out in rain and its freezing same thing.

4. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    They winter no different from other chickens. I've had them.

Problem is free ranging something gets them from either above or on the ground. My last hen I kept her crest trimmed so she could see what was going on. Flood got her rather than a predator this time. Frequent haircuts kind of defeats the point of having polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by