Polish is broody????!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tacothechicken, May 15, 2019.

1. tacothechicken

tacothechicken Songster

Apr 2, 2015
    Anacortes WA
    My Coop
    Ok so we had one of our 5 polish stashing eggs and even though i know the signs, i was umder the impression polish arent brooders....welp shes got 4 fertile eggs shes been sitting on for a week now and is in full on buff orpington levels of broodyness so im wondering if anyone else has unusual broody breeds? She went full on shriek yowl puff and tail shake, when i caught her taking her morning stretch, super funny dramatics anyone know how well they do raising chicks? cause she seemed wholly devoted to hatching by day 3 so well be having some babies for sure.

2. Ryder

Ryder Songster

Oct 16, 2018
    Ozark Missouri
    I had a brown leghorn go broody I did not know they went broody. Oh wait they dont its rare for leghorns and certain other breeds. She was a good mother imo. If a broody his pecks me and is very figity I would not leave chicks on them she tends to trample the chicks.

tacothechicken and starri33 like this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Broody is broody...breed doesn't always matter.
    I hope she's in a safe spot.
    Have you had a broody hatch a batch before?

4. tacothechicken

tacothechicken Songster

Apr 2, 2015
    Anacortes WA
    My Coop
    Yes shes brooding right above our more experienced bantam cochin mom( raised 3 sets of babies but lost a set early this year when she hatched in a awfull snow storm so this is her 2nd try this season) in the upper section of a old play house the previous onwers built. Theres a window ive wired off and a door way and i replaced the onlyway up as a removable ladder so unless it can fly or its a very athletic cat of some sort its not getting in(my goats have tried ). Im also covering them at night whith a storage bin and a old dog blanket to put off any predator attractive scents. Since there not in the coop. Luckily their only about 30 feet from our back door were we ldt our 6 dogs out each night, so i think theyll be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: