Polish less hardy?

Madcap621

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I have a question. Are Polish more difficult to raise than other breeds? I had two buff Polish hatch live in my New Years Hatch but both died within 36 hours. This last one last evening.
hit.gif
My brooder now has only 10 peeps.

Ive heard that but Ive never had any problems with mine-mine hatched out fine and I have 5 now living in these cold temperatures-

I've also heard that they are not hardy when young. They're smaller and weaker than other breeds. I've never had any problems, personally, but I can tell you, even when they are older they aren't hardy at all.

ETA: Just because they aren't hardy doesn't mean they can't survive. Mine tend to do very well in all sorts of weather, but every once in a while they could just get sick and then they'll be fine in a few hours. Weird. I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
Not all of them are like that. Luck of the draw sometimes.

Last edited:
i have a bunch of them @25 they are in a unheated 3 sided shed and are doing great! in fact I have 3 or 4 that just started laying in the last month i love these guys and have had NO problems so far!today its 15 degrees and they have been out scratching around them must be pretty hardy or they wouldnt be around as a breed for 400 years. just one mans opinion......

Quote:
I've had a slightly lower survival rate with my blue chicks, but no problem with my white crested blacks. All in all they have been a hardy breed for me, and it gets pretty darn cold here.

I've had 3 groups of hatchery Polish babies and have only lost one, so I'd say they are as hardy as my other breeds. Mine are outside in their pens in a 3 sided shed. It was 1 degree this AM and they're fine. My one free range polish is doing great too. She was out today when several others had stayed inside to roost and protest the cold
smile.png

I have no problem with the Polish I hatch. I have found them to be just as hardy as they others and I have hatched a whole lot of Polish.

Back
Top Bottom