1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish less hardy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madcap621, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a question. Are Polish more difficult to raise than other breeds? I had two buff Polish hatch live in my New Years Hatch but both died within 36 hours. This last one last evening. [​IMG] My brooder now has only 10 peeps.

2. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    So sorry! Sorry I don't know more about the breed!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ive heard that but Ive never had any problems with mine-mine hatched out fine and I have 5 now living in these cold temperatures-

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've also heard that they are not hardy when young. They're smaller and weaker than other breeds. I've never had any problems, personally, but I can tell you, even when they are older they aren't hardy at all.

ETA: Just because they aren't hardy doesn't mean they can't survive. Mine tend to do very well in all sorts of weather, but every once in a while they could just get sick and then they'll be fine in a few hours. Weird. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Not all of them are like that. Luck of the draw sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. broadlad

broadlad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2009
    North East Al
    i have a bunch of them @25 they are in a unheated 3 sided shed and are doing great! in fact I have 3 or 4 that just started laying in the last month i love these guys and have had NO problems so far!today its 15 degrees and they have been out scratching around them must be pretty hardy or they wouldnt be around as a breed for 400 years. just one mans opinion......

6. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I've had a slightly lower survival rate with my blue chicks, but no problem with my white crested blacks. All in all they have been a hardy breed for me, and it gets pretty darn cold here.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I agree with the others... they are less hardy when young.

8. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I've had 3 groups of hatchery Polish babies and have only lost one, so I'd say they are as hardy as my other breeds. Mine are outside in their pens in a 3 sided shed. It was 1 degree this AM and they're fine. My one free range polish is doing great too. She was out today when several others had stayed inside to roost and protest the cold [​IMG]

9. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I guess maybe the trick is to get them past the first days. Both of these babies seemed weaker than their fellow hatchlings.

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have no problem with the Polish I hatch. I have found them to be just as hardy as they others and I have hatched a whole lot of Polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by