Polish looks like she has no eyes!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peeps7, Jan 3, 2008.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    One of my polish hens looks like she has no eyes. She has eyes but they are bad crusted over, how can I get it off.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Can you post a picture? You'll have to treat it differently depending on what it is.

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    warm water on a wash cloth should loosen up the crusted areas. Then you will need to treat. Post a picture so that the pro's can let you know what to do....I am not a pro:rolleyes:

4. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I would but I can't find my camera, if I do I'll post a pic. I was going to use warm water but it's not that kind of crust. I could try it and see though.

5. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Cody Jo... Any news on you chicken. What kind of crust is it?

6. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    no news, I'm afraid to take warm water to her eyes and then stick her outside in the cold. The crust looks like skin but its not, I don't know what to do.

7. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    You've got to do something for her. If you don't have her out now, why would you have to put her out? If you would soak her eyes with warm water at least she could see. In the mean time, contact Dr. Peter Brown, an online chicken Dr. www.featherfanciers.com or firststatevetsupply.com

8. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I don't have her in now, shes outside with the other polish.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

She needs to come back inside before she infects everyone else. Also, you need to wash your hands before and after you handle her. You don't know if you're able to get it yourself!
    You don't have a camera phone, a friend with a camera or anything?
    Are there bumps? Are there little things that look like zits? Are they solid or have fluid in them? Are her eyes open at all? Are you able to open them up with warm water?

10. OHbluecoop

OHbluecoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Wauseon Ohio
    Boric acid made into a solution is safe for animals eyes. I think you can get it at a pharmacy. Make sure you us sterile water to mix it and take a gauge (sp?) pad to clean it with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by