1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish not getting along with other hens or rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenfoundme, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Chickenfoundme

Chickenfoundme Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    I've had this flock for about 3 months. It started out OK. 5 hens of different breeds, one being a Polish. Easter egger, Moran, Orpington, Brahma, round out the flock of hens. The rooster is a barnevelder. They're all about 8 months old. The rooster came first, then all the hens. About 6 weeks ago they started to not get along. About the time the rooster became active. The Polish won't leave the coop during the day, all alone. At night the Polish waits til the rest are on the roost for quite a while before joining them and often she will not eat when they're around. She is super sweet to me. But is either fearful or aggressive with the hens. and the occasional attempt to go in the run, the rooster chases her out. Individually they are all friendly and the Polish will jump in my arms and stay there as long as I let her. However I have seen her peck and chase a hen if one gets too close to her. Currently 3 of the hens started laying eggs. Not the polish yet.
    Not sure what to do? Everyone else gets along but her, amd she's also sort of my favorite. I welcome suggestions, I may be able to give her back to the person I got all the hens from if it doesn't work out but I'd rather they all be happy together.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Unfortunately you should never keep a single crested bird as they will often be a target for aggressive behaviors. Polish are a flighty breed and often overreact to everything.

You can try trimming the crest if it's impeding her eyesight, otherwise I would remove her to either her own polish flock or back where you got her. I have had them get their crests pecked open and have learned my lesson the hard way.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chickenfoundme

Jun 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture. I'm beginning to think based on behavior that is looking more and more like the rooster and this one challenging for dominance, that just maybe it could be a rooster and not a hen? The problems began when the one we know is a rooster became active with the hens. What do you think, could it actually be a rooster?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That does look like a rooster, a side shot would confirm it as it should have hackle and saddle feathers by now. I haven't had a decent polish rooster, they can be a bit of a pain.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chickenfoundme

Jun 25, 2016
    I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow. That would certainly explain a lot.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Being a Polish Chicken inst-and-among the breeds that you mentioned is in my view like being a blind sword fighter.

There is little wonder then that your Polish hen is the flock punching bag.

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Roosters, all roosters try and establish a harem. They don't qualify as roosters unless they try and carve out a personal harem or kingdom among your hens

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

X2. I have a pair of polish hens. They jump at their own shadows lol, but those 2 are always together, happy to be the bottom of the pecking order as long as they have each other ;)

LOL!

but it does look like a roo.... That comb is too prominent and his crest is, too. That might explain the fighting and lack of eggs. May also be why he is so friendly; cockerels usually are fairly personable when young.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ditto on the advice on Polish on general. But, that's a cockerel. Doesn't really matter the breed, he should go.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by